On March 20, 2022 5:02:36 PM GMT+02:00, Roger Price <ro...@rogerprice.org>
wrote:
>I received the following comment from the Independent Submissions Editor (ISE):
>
>  The command VER is hazardous because it encourages exploiting of
>  implementation peculiarities that are not well documented in a
>  protocol.  The best example of such a failure is the browser version
>  field in HTTP.  A complete disaster.  You should warn against use of
>  this command, or even better, deprecate it.
>
>I was not aware of the disaster in the browser version field, but I will warn
>against use of VER, and deprecate it, if you agree.
>
>Roger
Hello

I do not know of anyone calling the situation of browsers  "a disaster". It's
true, the version field can be and is used - together with other data that the
browser sends (!!!) - to create an almost unique signature of the user. But
OTOH it is used to adapt the looks of the site to the capabilities of the
browser because , well, no two browsers behave 100% the same and site
developers try to make sites that look as bright and shiny as possible in the
eyes of the users . For a start, that's how the desktop and mobile versions of
dynamic/responsive sites differentiate the clients and adapt themselves to
present the best look and feel to clients.

Leaving that aside, I see no issues in warning users about the potential
nefarious uses of any command. In this particular case I'd also add a reference
to restricting the communication between nut servers and clients to the
smallest possible subset of devices (by using dedicated VLANs, firewalls etc)
and ask them to reread the security section.

wolfy