On 2014-09-23, Charles Lepple <clep...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In the mean time, it looks like we will have to document around this. Back to
> one of my earlier questions, what is the status of that patch that Stan
> posted from Stuart Henderson? From 5.6 onwards, is that sufficient for users
> to apply, or is there another patch needed to deconflict ugen and upd?

Basically, for devices claimed by any driver other than ugen(4), libusb
only allows reads and submitting control transfers.

The patch I sent for testing prevents APC UPS from attaching to uhidev(4)
and thus its subdrivers (upd in this case).

Other devices will need the vid/pid adding to /sys/dev/usb/usbdevs if
not already present, "make" in that dir if any was added, and a quirk
adding as in the patch I sent to Stan. This prevents that device from
attaching to uhidev and its sub-drivers such as upd(4).

An alternative (simpler) method for those not using USB HID devices with
kernel drivers (mice, keyboards, thermometers, etc) is the old method
of disabling uhidev ("boot -c" at the boot loader and "disable uhidev"
"quit", or modify an on-disk kernel with "config -ef /bsd").

I agree that being able to detach a USB device from a kernel device and
force it to ugen would be useful (whether it's done by libusb or another
method), I don't know if anyone has plans to do that.