On Nov 12, 2014, at 2:49 AM, Klint Gore <kgo...@une.edu.au> wrote:

> Can someone give me a push in the right direction with this?  I’m trying to
> get an upsonic IRT1000 to work on ubuntu 14.04lts using the usb connection.
> The most likely drivers (blazer_usb and usbhid-ups) don’t seem to recognize
> it or I’ve got the configuration parameters wrong.  I’ve got no idea what
> driver it actually wants though there’s an old thread that seems to have got
> it to work with snmp by adding an snmp card to it.

I suspect it's handled by blazer_usb (or nutdrv_qx, which will eventually
supersede the blazer* drivers). My heuristic is that the wDescriptorLength in
the lsusb output (47) is too short to be parsed by usbhid-ups (so the UPS
probably has a built-in USB-to-serial converter).

> config file
> [upsonicRT1000]
>         #driver=blazer_usb
>         driver=usbhid-ups
>         port=auto
>         vendorid=0xffff
>         productid=0000
>         #serial=2
>         #product="1 010937"
>         #vendor=19
>         #explore
>         desc="UPSonic RT1000"

I am surprised that the blazer_usb configuration didn't work. If you leave off
the matching options, does this find the UPS?

[upsonicRT1000]
        driver=blazer_usb ## or nutdrv_qx
        port=auto
        desc="UPSonic RT1000"

> as blazer_usb
> root@merino:/tmp/aaa# /lib/nut/blazer_usb -DDDD -a upsonicRT1000
> Network UPS Tools - Megatec/Q1 protocol USB driver 0.10 (2.7.1)
>    0.000000     debug level is '4'
[...]
>    0.259151     Checking device (FFFF/0000) (003/008)
>    0.259177     - VendorID: ffff
>    0.259180     - ProductID: 0000
>    0.259182     - Manufacturer: unknown
>    0.259184     - Product: unknown
>    0.259186     - Serial Number: unknown
>    0.259188     - Bus: 003
>    0.259190     Trying to match device
>    0.259195     Device does not match - skipping

^ Should match here.

I am not sure if the Ubuntu packages include a proper entry for this UPS (since
a vendorID of 0xFFFF isn't valid). Can you check to see if there is something
like this at the end of /etc/udev/rules.d/*-nut-usbups.rules?

ATTR{idVendor}=="ffff", ATTR{idProduct}=="0000", MODE="664", GROUP="nut"

If so, was the UPS USB cable plugged in before or after the package was
installed? I think a lot of the packages are missing a post-install command to
reload udev, so the workaround is to plug the USB cable in again after
installation.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple@gmail