The 6 volt starter system might sound slightly anemic to most but engine
cranking speed isn't much diff actually. Originally, there was a wide
braided ground strap from the engine at the starter mounting bolt/stud to
the frame. A large (#1 gauge I think) neg batt cable from the frame to the -
batt post and the same size pos cable from the starter switch to the + batt
post. I probably shouldn't speak for every year of the AD's but I know the
later years of production were this way.

Basically, make sure you have large batt cables in good condition with good
connections at each end. At six volts, the starter system uses about twice
the amperage then a comparable 12 volt system. Hence, the larger cables.
Typical #4 gauge cables just aren't up to the task.

If all that doesn't work then you may have to take the starter in for some
repair.

One more thought that might be of interest to everyone; when it was time to
replace the 6V battery in my truck, I noticed that the 6V batts carried at
the local discount style auto parts store had about 560 cranking amps.
NAPA's 6V batteries had quite a bit more at something like 780 CCA and
wasn't much more money. I had picked up one of those 560 CCA's when I bought
that truck five years ago and it had always cranked a little slow. That was
until I put one of the NAPA batteries in it.

Jeff in Clermont, FL
53 3800 Chev

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Yahoo! Groups Links