On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 06:25:09PM +0200, Michael Schloh von Bennewitz wrote:
> Please stay tuned for an answer to your first question. Regarding Darwin and
> power macintosh, I think we can do something about that. Please send the
> output of 'uname -a', and it may be listed in the next release as unofficially
> supported.

uname -a:

Darwin bunny.pixar.com 6.0 Darwin Kernel Version 6.0: Sat Jul 27 13:18:52 PDT
2002; root:xnu/xnu-344.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC  Power Macintosh powerpc

uname -m (the real offender):
Power Macintosh

unane -p:
powerpc

The rpm config.guess script translates uname -m to uname -p.  Would this be
reasonable to do in openpkg as well?

> As soon as I schlep the text, you should be able to download a current (not
> release) version OpenPKG package and complete the bootstrap. Please keep in
> mind that we have no Darwin platform to test on, so until positive responses
> come in it is unknown how well Darwin and OpenPKG fit together. Nice to know
> that it seems to work for you, though.
>
> If you can run 'uname -a' on a few machines (notebook?), it would help me put
> in the right expression to catch all cases.

Thanks for your help.  It would be great if I could get this working.  Darwin's
pretty close to the BSDs so I'm hoping this won't be too painful.

--
miles egan
senior unix sysadmin