Duncan Thomas wrote:
On 31 August 2016 at 11:57, Bogdan Dobrelya <bdobre...@mirantis.com
<mailto:bdobre...@mirantis.com>> wrote:

    I agree that RPC design pattern, as it is implemented now, is a major
    blocker for OpenStack in general. It requires a major redesign,
    including handling of corner cases, on both sides, *especially* RPC call
    clients. Or may be it just have to be abandoned to be replaced by a more
    cloud friendly pattern.

Is there a writeup anywhere on what these issues are? I've heard this
sentiment expressed multiple times now, but without a writeup of the
issues and the design goals of the replacement, we're unlikely to make
progress on a replacement - even if somebody takes the heroic approach
and writes a full replacement themselves, the odds of getting community
by-in are very low.

+2 to that, there are a bunch of technologies that could replace the rabbit+rpc, aka, gRPC, then there is http2 and thrift and ... so a writeup IMHO would help at least clear the waters a little bit, and explain the blocker of the current RPC design pattern (which is multidimensional because most people are probably thinking RPC == rabbit when it's actually more than that now, ie zeromq and amqp1.0 and ...) and try to centralize on a better replacement.

-Josh