On 31.08.2016 03:52, joehuang wrote:
> Cells is a good enhancement for Nova scalability, but there are some issues
> in deployment Cells for massively distributed edge clouds:
>
> 1) using RPC for inter-data center communication will bring the difficulty in
> inter-dc troubleshooting and maintenance, and some critical issue in
> operation. No CLI or restful API or other tools to manage a child cell
> directly. If the link between the API cell and child cells is broken, then
> the child cell in the remote edge cloud is unmanageable, no matter locally or
> remotely.
>
> 2). The challenge in security management for inter-site RPC communication.
> Please refer to the slides[1] for the challenge 3: Securing OpenStack over
> the Internet, Over 500 pin holes had to be opened in the firewall to allow
> this to work – Includes ports for VNC and SSH for CLIs. Using RPC in cells
> for edge cloud will face same security challenges.
>
> 3)only nova supports cells. But not only Nova needs to support edge clouds,
> Neutron, Cinder should be taken into account too. How about Neutron to
> support service function chaining in edge clouds? Using RPC? how to address
> challenges mentioned above? And Cinder?
>
> 4). Using RPC to do the production integration for hundreds of edge cloud is
> quite challenge idea, it's basic requirements that these edge clouds may be
> bought from multi-vendor, hardware/software or both.
>
> That means using cells in production for massively distributed edge clouds is
> quite bad idea. If Cells provide RESTful interface between API cell and child
> cell, it's much more acceptable, but it's still not enough, similar in
> Cinder, Neutron. Or just deploy lightweight OpenStack instance in each edge
> cloud, for example, one rack. The question is how to manage the large number
> of OpenStack instance and provision service.
>
> [1]https://www.openstack.org/assets/presentation-media/OpenStack-2016-Austin-D-NFV-vM.pdf

I agree that RPC design pattern, as it is implemented now, is a major
blocker for OpenStack in general. It requires a major redesign,
including handling of corner cases, on both sides, *especially* RPC call
clients. Or may be it just have to be abandoned to be replaced by a more
cloud friendly pattern.

> Best Regards
> Chaoyi Huang(joehuang)

>>> http://www.etsi.org/images/files/technologies/MEC_Introduction_slides__SDN_World_Congress_15-10-14.pdf
>>> [2]
>>> http://www.etsi.org/technologies-clusters/technologies/mobile-edge-computing
>>>
>>> And when we talk about massively distributed cloud, vCPE is only one
>>> of the scenarios( now in argue - ing ), but we can't forget that
>>> there are other scenarios like vCDN, vEPC, vIMS, MEC, IoT etc.
>>> Architecture level discussion is still necessary to see if current
>>> design and new proposals can fulfill the demands. If there are lots
>>> of proposals, it's good to compare the pros. and cons, and which
>>> scenarios the proposal work, which scenario the proposal can't work
>>> very well.
>>>
>>> ( Hope this reply in the thread :) )
>>>
>>> Best Regards
>>> Chaoyi Huang(joehuang)