Hi Gert.

I think the solution to my problem is for me to use a client-connect
script to handle the quirks of my particular use case without requiring
anything from the openvpn code.   I can get the Common Name in the
script and then search for the file with my naming convention as needed
or return an error if none is found.  This way I can keep the
functionality of ccd-exclusive and compat-names while not requiring any
name munging within openvpn itself.

I agree that maintaining code paths for all the possible scenarios is
not desirable and you already provide a great way for me to extend your
code with the script hooks that have been in place for years.

Thanks for your quick response and for making a great piece of software!

Tom