I’m nowhere close to being able to even check this, but I will give you a
pointer. This usually happens when some Makefile defines multiple packages, one
of them depending on kexec-tools (or any package define in its Makefile), and
another one—which you are selecting—that doesn’t.  The build dependencies are
resolved at the Makefile level, so kexec is pulled if any package in that
Makefile is selected.

To fix this, you can add a PACKAGE_foo: conditional to the kexec-tools
dependency. Then the build dependency will also have that condition, and
kexec-tools will not be built. Look at the OpenSSL Makefile for an example
(taking it from memory).

Cheers,

Eneas