The sender domain has a DMARC Reject/Quarantine policy which disallows
sending mailing list messages using the original "From" header.

To mitigate this problem, the original message has been wrapped
automatically by the mailing list software.
--- Begin Message ---
Actually, I *am* selecting kexec which is part of kexec-tools… though I forget
why.

It might be a hangover from when I was bringing up various x86_64 platforms and
I needed to be able to boot into a failsafe kernel if the kernel-under-test
hung for whatever reason and the watchdog fired…

In any case, it should still build.

I’ll dig into it if I get a chance.  The suspect part is here:

x86_64-openwrt-linux-musl-gcc  -mcmodel=large -I./purgatory/include
-I./purgatory/arch/x86_64/include -I./util_lib/include -I./include -Iinclude
-I/home/philipp/lede/staging_dir/toolchain-x86_64_gcc-13.2.0_musl/lib/gcc/x86_64-openwrt-linux-musl/13.2.0/include
  -c -MD -o purgatory/arch/i386/entry32-16.o purgatory/arch/i386/entry32-16.S

And looking at the Makefile:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/utils/kernel/kexec/kexec-tools.git/tree/purgatory/arch/x86_64/Makefile#n18

that is indeed what it wants.

The top-level Makefile says:

AS              = x86_64-openwrt-linux-musl-gcc -c -Os -pipe -g3
-fno-caller-saves -fno-plt -fhonour-copts
-fmacro-prefix-map=/home/philipp/lede/build_dir/target-x86_64_musl/kexec-tools-2.0.28=kexec-tools-2.0.28
 -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -Wformat -Werror=format-security
-fstack-protector -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1 -Wl,-z,now -Wl,-z,relro

but that’s not how it’s being built.

and no ARCH specific flags are defined:

ASFLAGS         =  $($(ARCH)_ASFLAGS)

and the top-level Makefile also has:

%.o: %.S
        @$(MKDIR) -p $(@D)
        $(COMPILE.S) -MD -o $@ $<

so the default definition of COMPILE.S seems to be lacking.  At which point I
run out of -fu, because I can’t remember how to get “make” to dump its default
definitions (i.e. the equivalent of "echo | gcc -dM -E -“ for make).

> On May 7, 2024, at 4:25 PM, Enéas Ulir de Queiroz <cotequei...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> I’m nowhere close to being able to even check this, but I will give you a
> pointer. This usually happens when some Makefile defines multiple packages,
> one of them depending on kexec-tools (or any package define in its Makefile),
> and another one—which you are selecting—that doesn’t.  The build dependencies
> are resolved at the Makefile level, so kexec is pulled if any package in that
> Makefile is selected.
>
> To fix this, you can add a PACKAGE_foo: conditional to the kexec-tools
> dependency. Then the build dependency will also have that condition, and
> kexec-tools will not be built. Look at the OpenSSL Makefile for an example
> (taking it from memory).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Eneas
>
>> Em 6 de mai. de 2024, à(s) 17:09, Philip Prindeville via openwrt-devel
>> <openwrt-devel@lists.openwrt.org> escreveu:
>>
>> The sender domain has a DMARC Reject/Quarantine policy which disallows
>> sending mailing list messages using the original "From" header.
>>
>> To mitigate this problem, the original message has been wrapped
>> automatically by the mailing list software.
>> <mime-attachment>

--- End Message ---