O | S | D | N                 NEWSLETTER
    July 29, 2002                                          DEVELOPER SERIES

      The 'Developer Series' Newsletter is developed to bring Open Source
    related content to a user with a focus for development with Open Source
             If you'd like to receive more content relating to
             Open Source subscribe at http://www.osdn.com/newsletters/

Thinkgeek
Cube Fodder: Tangle Desktop Toy
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/fun-stuff/5a38.shtml

Gadgets: Sharp Zaurus Linux PDA
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/gadgets/5a3c.shtml

Gadgets: Key Katcher
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/gadgets/5a05.shtml

Tshirts: Kids: newbie
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/apparel/59cc.shtml

Caffeine: Energy Gum
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/caffeine/5a35.shtml

Gadgets: Super Bright GREEN Laser Pointer!
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/gadgets/5a1d.shtml

Gadgets: SoundBug - Turns Glossy Surfaces Into Speakers!
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/computing/5a15.shtml

Tshirts: It Must Be User Error
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/apparel/59fe.shtml

Gadgets: Key Katcher Privacy Device
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/gadgets/5a05.shtml

Gadgets: Mini Wireless Color Video Cam (for RC rovers)
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/fun-stuff/59eb.shtml

Cube Goodies: Levitron Desktop Levitation Toy
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/fun-stuff/59a9.shtml

Tshirts: Bug Off, I'm On My Break
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/apparel/5a00.shtml

Watches: onHand PC Watch
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/gadgets/5a1a.shtml

Caffeine: Hyperglow Caffeinated Beer
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/looflirpa/beer.shtml

Gadgets: Desktop Zero Point Infinite Power Generator
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/looflirpa/zero.shtml

Cube Fodder: New Desktop Mini Fridge/Warmer
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/fun-stuff/5991.shtml

Mods: New Lian-LIi Cases
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/computing/cases-mods.shtml

Cube Fodder: LED Binary Clock
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/fun-stuff/59e0.shtml

Cube Fodder: Rogers Connection Magnetic Set
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/fun-stuff/59b4.shtml

Caffeine: Warp Mints In Cinnamon Flavor
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/caffeine/59de.shtml

Sourceforge
Automated Security Tools
    Release Candidate 1

phpLotto
    phpLotto 1st Release

Legend of the Wonderer TCG
    battle system in the project Docs

Advanced Simlulation Toolkit
    Recruiting

PHPortal
    PHPortal version 0.1.9 released!

PCGen -- A d20 Character Generator
    PCGen 2.6.3 is available

MySQL Objective C API for Cocoa
    SMySQL version 0.7.0

i810 Framebuffer Device Driver
    Video Overlay Support for the Intel 810 and 815 Framebuffer

'Just For Fun' Network Management System
    JFF Network Management System 0.6.4

VietPad
    VietPad 1.0.2 Release

Slashdot
R2D2 Beer Getting Machine

    defectorg writes "[0]R2-D2 Interactive Astromech Droid is coming to us
    this summer. Equipped with innovative speech recognition technology,
    infrared scanning technology and working sonar navigation, this R2-D2
    recognizes 40 spoken phrases, plays six exciting games, and sings three
    tunes. It even has a retractable arm that lets it hold a 12-ounce
    beverage! Now this would be a nice thing to hack wireless lan iinto,
    let it notify new mail, read news and most important,
    ~/bin/let_r2d2_get_a_cold_beer_somehow.pl."
Links
    0. http://www.creaturelabs.com/toys_r2-d2.html

Voices in Your Head

    ceejayoz writes "MSNBC/Newsweek is running a story about a
    [0]'Hypersonic Sound System' that can 'can take an audio signal from
    virtually any source and convert it to an ultrasonic frequency that can
    be directed like a beam of light toward a target up to 100 yards away.'
    Sounds like something that advertisers will love - Minority Report just
    got a little closer." These guys (and the [1]Audio Spotlight guys) have
    been hyping this technology for [2]years with [3]nothing much to show
    from it. But now, Newsweek promises, it's going to change the world as
    we hear it.
Links
    0. http://www.msnbc.com/news/786016.asp
    1. __SLASHLINK__
    2. http://www.locationsound.com/96winter/hyper.html
    3. http://www.discover.com/awards/arc97/9707-7G.html

More on Bernstein's Number Field Sieve

    [0]Russ Nelson writes "Dan Bernstein has a response to [1]Bernstein's
    NFS analyzed by Lenstra and Shamir, entitled [2]Circuits for integer
    factorization. He notes that the issue of the cost of factorization is
    still open, and that it may in fact be inexpensive to factor 1024-bit
    keys. We don't know, and that's what his research is intended to
    explore."
Links
    0. http://russnelson.com
    1. __SLASHLINK__
    2. http://cr.yp.to/nfscircuit.html

Valgrind 1.0.0 Released

    [0]Anonymous Lazy Boy writes "Yesterday saw the official release of
    Valgrind 1.0.0. [1] Valgrind is a C/C++ programmer's dream come true:
    effortless memory allocation checking, uninitialized memory access,
    leaks etc. Purify for Linux has arrived, only better: contrary to its
    commercial (non-Linux) sibling, checking is performed directly on the
    executable, no re-linking necessary. The technology behind Valgrind is
    highly fascinating and explained down to the very gory details in the
    [2] documentation."
Links
    0. mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
    1. http://developer.kde.org/~sewardj/
    2. http://developer.kde.org/~sewardj/docs/index.html

Malaysia Says Piracy (Might Be) OK for Learning

    [0]mkbz writes "a Malaysian newspaper published a [1]story quoting
    Malaysia's Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs Minister, Muhyiddin
    Yassin, who condemned the use of pirated software for business, but
    also said they may turn a blind eye to piracy when it comes to
    education: "But for educational purposes and to encourage computer
    usage, we may consider allowing schools and social organisations to use
    pirated software." is learning more important than copyright
    enforcement? could each of the pirated works found in schools be
    written off as donations? how can this benefit both the people AND the
    software makers? Read the [1]full article here."
Links
    0. http://www.pixelectric.com
    1. http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2002/7/28/nation/jhsoftwar&sec=nation

AGP4X vs. AGP8X

    An anonymous reader writes "With upcoming chipsets such as the SiS648
    claiming support for the latest AGP8X standard, we asked ourselves if
    there were any performance benefits. We took the SiS648 and Xabre 400
    reference boards, modified them and [0]compared the results." I can't
    even get 4x stable under XP, so I figure 8x is half as likely to let me
    play NWN :)
Links
    0. http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/articles.hwz?cid=3&aid=473

Internet Security Standards

    [0]Aetius writes "The [1]Center for Internet Security has released a
    set of security standards and tools for several operating systems.
    Here's the [2]ZDNet story. I checked out the Linux standard and it is a
    pretty good coverage of the basics; about the only thing missing was a
    simple firewall treatment. I installed it on my wide-open desktop
    system (RH 7.3) and scored a 6.61 out of 10, which doesn't seem too
    bad. The scanner code isn't open source, but it's perl so you can at
    least look at it. You have to register to download it. If nothing else,
    the PDF of the standards is a good read. Enjoy."
Links
    0. mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
    1. http://www.cisecurity.org/
    2. http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/0,14179,2875475,00.html

Gaming Zone?

    [0]texchanchan writes "The [1]BBC reports on a study by Dr. Costas
    Karageorghis, Brunel University (London): '[2]Recent research has
    suggested that it could be possible for a person immersed in a computer
    game to achieve the same level of meditative concentration' usually
    found in religious contemplatives and athletes in 'The Zone.' The
    [2]article also quotes Dr. Karageorghis as saying 'It's a deeply
    pleasurable experience and it's something that's not very often
    experienced by people, rather it's something that often represents
    people's peak experiences in a particular area.'"
Links
    0. mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
    1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/
    2. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/2154092.stm

Wanna Work for Dave Taylor & American McGee?

    The well known former Id developers are starting a company to develop a
    shooter for the X-Box. They are looking for programmers, artists, level
    designers, and producers, but only if you're in, or willing to move to
    LA. If you think you're right for this one, you should [0]email Dave.
Links
    0. mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

USB 2.0 for Linux Coming Soon

    itwerx writes "There's an article on MSNBC about [0]USB 2.0 support in
    Linux. Interesting to see that the open source community is less than a
    year behind the most powerful software company in the world in
    supporting it. Does that make us the second most powerful now? :)"
Links
    0. http://www.msnbc.com/news/785970.asp

Software.linux.com
EzPPP
http://software.linux.com/articles/view/1541/

    I like to travel. It's great. I get to see new places, do new things,
    and meet new people! The problem is that when I leave home, more often
    then not, I leave my high speed Internet behind too. That's when things
    get frustrating. Yes, the shameful truth is that I've yet to install
    ppp configuration software.

Copyright (c) 2002 OSDN. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without
express written permission of OSDN is prohibited.
url - http://www.osdn.com
email - [EMAIL PROTECTED]