O | S | D | N                 NEWSLETTER
    July 30, 2002                                          DEVELOPER SERIES

      The 'Developer Series' Newsletter is developed to bring Open Source
    related content to a user with a focus for development with Open Source
             If you'd like to receive more content relating to
             Open Source subscribe at http://www.osdn.com/newsletters/

Thinkgeek
Cube Fodder: Tangle Desktop Toy
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/fun-stuff/5a38.shtml

Gadgets: Sharp Zaurus Linux PDA
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/gadgets/5a3c.shtml

Gadgets: Key Katcher
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/gadgets/5a05.shtml

Tshirts: Kids: newbie
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/apparel/59cc.shtml

Caffeine: Energy Gum
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/caffeine/5a35.shtml

Gadgets: Super Bright GREEN Laser Pointer!
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/gadgets/5a1d.shtml

Gadgets: SoundBug - Turns Glossy Surfaces Into Speakers!
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/computing/5a15.shtml

Tshirts: It Must Be User Error
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/apparel/59fe.shtml

Gadgets: Key Katcher Privacy Device
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/gadgets/5a05.shtml

Gadgets: Mini Wireless Color Video Cam (for RC rovers)
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/fun-stuff/59eb.shtml

Cube Goodies: Levitron Desktop Levitation Toy
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/fun-stuff/59a9.shtml

Tshirts: Bug Off, I'm On My Break
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/apparel/5a00.shtml

Watches: onHand PC Watch
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/gadgets/5a1a.shtml

Caffeine: Hyperglow Caffeinated Beer
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/looflirpa/beer.shtml

Gadgets: Desktop Zero Point Infinite Power Generator
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/looflirpa/zero.shtml

Cube Fodder: New Desktop Mini Fridge/Warmer
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/fun-stuff/5991.shtml

Mods: New Lian-LIi Cases
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/computing/cases-mods.shtml

Cube Fodder: LED Binary Clock
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/fun-stuff/59e0.shtml

Cube Fodder: Rogers Connection Magnetic Set
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/fun-stuff/59b4.shtml

Caffeine: Warp Mints In Cinnamon Flavor
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/caffeine/59de.shtml

Sourceforge
Automated Security Tools
    Release Candidate 1

phpLotto
    phpLotto 1st Release

Legend of the Wonderer TCG
    battle system in the project Docs

Advanced Simlulation Toolkit
    Recruiting

PHPortal
    PHPortal version 0.1.9 released!

PCGen -- A d20 Character Generator
    PCGen 2.6.3 is available

MySQL Objective C API for Cocoa
    SMySQL version 0.7.0

i810 Framebuffer Device Driver
    Video Overlay Support for the Intel 810 and 815 Framebuffer

'Just For Fun' Network Management System
    JFF Network Management System 0.6.4

VietPad
    VietPad 1.0.2 Release

Slashdot
nVidia NV3x Sneak Peek

    zoobaby writes "Here is a [0]sneak peak at [1]nVidia's upcoming line of
    cards. No hard specs, but some nice notes on changes from current NV2x
    to NV3x, also some very nice screenshots to show off what it will be
    capable of." In related news, Tim_F [2]noticed that memory manufacturer
    Crucial is entering the video card business with their first card based
    on the [3]ATI Radeon 8500le.
Links
    0. http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/videocards/article.php/1434621
    1. http://nvidia.com
    2.
https://slashdot.org/submit.pl?op=viewsub&subid=164065&note=&title=Memory%20Expert%20Crucial%20To%20Release%20ATI%20Video%20Card
    3.

Karl Auerbach Wins Right To Inspect ICANN Records

    Siobhan Hansas writes: "Karl Auerbach was in court today fighting for
    the right to inspect and copy documents he first asked to see in 2000,
    shortly after he became a member of the Board of Directors. Salon have
    the [0]AP story. Auerbach won the right to inspect documents, but not
    to copy them, and was required to give ICANN 10 days notice of release
    of any information marked "confidential" to give them the opportunity
    to seek a court order stopping him." [1]M: A [2]first-hand report from
    the hearing makes good reading.
Links
    0. http://www.salon.com/tech/wire/2002/07/29/icann/index.html?x
    1. mailto:michael@@slashdot.org
    2. http://icann.blog.us/stories/2002/07/29/auerbachWinsCourtCriticize.html

Slashback: Assembly, Avoidance, Civility

    With the usual round of updates, corrections, reactions and related
    stories, Slashback tonight has word of yet another giant Euronerd
    conclave, as well as some news on the odds of being smashed into a pulp
    in the year 2019, and a gentle response from Richard M. Stallman on
    appropriate behavior in absurd circumstances.

iVillage Renounces Pop-up Advertising

    ceejayoz writes "[0]iVillage.com, a popular women's portal,
    [1]announced today that it is getting rid of pop-up advertising on its
    site after a survey of their users found 95% considered it the most
    annoying part of the Internet. Lets hope they can prove there are
    other, less annoying advertising models that work!"
Links
    0. http://ivillage.com/
    1. http://www.msnbc.com/news/787096.asp

New Way To Grade Decay of Computer Installations

    skojt writes: "I saw this link in Dr Dobb's Journal (the paper edition)
    about the [0]behaviour of a slowly decaying computer installation. It
    refers to a Windows installation, but as the author writes, 'But there
    will shortly be ports to Linux, Mac OS X, and other Unices; we are
    confident these OSes are just as prone.'"
Links
    0. http://www.ddj.com/documents/s=7453/ddj0208q/0208q.htm

May I Have Your EULA Please?

    [0]LionsFate asks: "Just like the subject says. I want End User Licence
    Agreements (EULAs). I'm starting a database of as many EULAs as I can
    get. I want to know the first EULA that said we can't reverse engineer
    their software. I want to know the first that said they can watch our
    activities. I want to know how the NES agreement differs from the
    GameCube. Did Nintendo lighten, or tighten restrictions? I'm looking to
    generate a time-line of EULAs and how they have changed. What
    permissions we have been given, and taken away over that period. What
    rights did we have in Windows 3.1, compared to Windows XP? How has the
    MPAA and RIAA changed our 'legal rights' on software as a result of
    their effort? Watched Napster or other P2P software and seen the
    changes in their EULAs? I'm starting my EULA database at [1]here and I
    need as many EULAs as I can get to populate the database. If you can,
    please email me any/all that you can. I'm hoping within a few weeks to
    have the site online." Ask Slashdot last tackled the topic of EULAs in
    [2]this piece. It would be interesting to grab a nice sample of EULAs
    across the last 2 decades to see what has changed, if anything.
Links
    0. mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
    1. http://la.shano.org/
    2. __SLASHLINK__

Hop-On Hops Back On the PR Bandwagon

    I thought CNN's gushing forth of breathless admiration in today's
    piece: [0]'Disposable cell phones on the way' sounded familiar. Yep,
    it's Hop-On, the same company Slashdotters took to task last March
    ([1]'Disposable' Cell Phone Actually Repackaged Nokia) after reading
    the San Francisco Chronicle's expose [2] ("Sample 'new' cell phone
    really just modified Nokia [8260]"). Maybe this time the technology is
    for real. Or maybe I'm just too skeptical for my own good. Caveat
    lector.
Links
    0. http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/ptech/07/29/telecoms.throwaway.reut/index.html
    1. __SLASHLINK__
    2. http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2002/03/29/BU13539.DTL

Linus: Praying for Hammer to Win

    An anonymous reader writes "The boys at [0]Intel can't be happy with
    the latest opposition to the [1]IA-64 instruction set. According to
    [2]this Inquirer scoop, Linus himself has weighed in, and it appears
    he's putting his eggs in the [3]x86-64 basket. In [4]the original
    usenet post, he goes so far as to say that 'We're ... praying that
    AMD's x86-64 succeeds in the market, forcing Intel to make Yamhill
    their standard platform.'"
Links
    0. http://www.intel.com/
    1. http://www.intel.com/support/processors/ia64/
    2. http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=4668
    3. http://www.x86-64.org/
    4.
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=Pine.LNX.4.44.0207281622350.8208-100000%40home.transmeta.com

Borrowing ROMs

    An anonymous reader writes "It looks like [0]Console Classix is trying
    introduce a new old concept to the world of P2P file sharing, at least
    as it applies to NES and SNES ROM images. You download their client
    program, and then you can "borrow" one ROM image at a time from their
    site, play it, and then release it for someone else to use. There are a
    finite number of ROM images on the site, each one ostensibly dumped
    from a legitimate and unique cartridge. I wonder if this will allow an
    end-run around some of the questionable legality of file-sharing... and
    I wonder if this could work for MP3s, movies, and other forms of
    media?" I think its pretty reasonable, but I doubt that the industries
    will agree.
Links
    0. http://www.consoleclassix.com/

Control of the .ORG TLD

    [0]rhwalker22 writes "TechNews.com has an [1]in-depth look at the 11
    groups bidding to run dot-org when VeriSign gives it up later this
    year." I have a sneaking suspicion that my bid of $100 and a case of
    guinness has been outdone.
Links
    0. http://www.technews.com
    1. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A12982-2002Jul28.html

Software.linux.com
Simple Picture Gallery Manager (SPGM)
http://software.linux.com/articles/view/1544/

    OK, so you just want a simple online photo album. Ya know, one that can
    handle all of your basic needs from creating directories, to filling
    them with the pictures, to uploading them. And you don't want to deal
    with automatic thumbnail generation, advanced search functions,
    per-gallery full statistics, or interactive picture scaling.

Copyright (c) 2002 OSDN. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without
express written permission of OSDN is prohibited.
url - http://www.osdn.com
email - [EMAIL PROTECTED]