O | S | D | N                 NEWSLETTER
    July 31, 2002                                          DEVELOPER SERIES

      The 'Developer Series' Newsletter is developed to bring Open Source
    related content to a user with a focus for development with Open Source
             If you'd like to receive more content relating to
             Open Source subscribe at http://www.osdn.com/newsletters/

Thinkgeek
Cube Fodder: Tangle Desktop Toy
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/fun-stuff/5a38.shtml

Gadgets: Sharp Zaurus Linux PDA
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/gadgets/5a3c.shtml

Gadgets: Key Katcher
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/gadgets/5a05.shtml

Tshirts: Kids: newbie
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/apparel/59cc.shtml

Caffeine: Energy Gum
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/caffeine/5a35.shtml

Gadgets: Super Bright GREEN Laser Pointer!
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/gadgets/5a1d.shtml

Gadgets: SoundBug - Turns Glossy Surfaces Into Speakers!
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/computing/5a15.shtml

Tshirts: It Must Be User Error
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/apparel/59fe.shtml

Gadgets: Key Katcher Privacy Device
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/gadgets/5a05.shtml

Gadgets: Mini Wireless Color Video Cam (for RC rovers)
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/fun-stuff/59eb.shtml

Cube Goodies: Levitron Desktop Levitation Toy
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/fun-stuff/59a9.shtml

Tshirts: Bug Off, I'm On My Break
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/apparel/5a00.shtml

Watches: onHand PC Watch
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/gadgets/5a1a.shtml

Caffeine: Hyperglow Caffeinated Beer
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/looflirpa/beer.shtml

Gadgets: Desktop Zero Point Infinite Power Generator
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/looflirpa/zero.shtml

Cube Fodder: New Desktop Mini Fridge/Warmer
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/fun-stuff/5991.shtml

Mods: New Lian-LIi Cases
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/computing/cases-mods.shtml

Cube Fodder: LED Binary Clock
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/fun-stuff/59e0.shtml

Cube Fodder: Rogers Connection Magnetic Set
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/fun-stuff/59b4.shtml

Caffeine: Warp Mints In Cinnamon Flavor
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/caffeine/59de.shtml

Sourceforge
Automated Security Tools
    Release Candidate 1

phpLotto
    phpLotto 1st Release

Legend of the Wonderer TCG
    battle system in the project Docs

Advanced Simlulation Toolkit
    Recruiting

PHPortal
    PHPortal version 0.1.9 released!

PCGen -- A d20 Character Generator
    PCGen 2.6.3 is available

MySQL Objective C API for Cocoa
    SMySQL version 0.7.0

i810 Framebuffer Device Driver
    Video Overlay Support for the Intel 810 and 815 Framebuffer

'Just For Fun' Network Management System
    JFF Network Management System 0.6.4

VietPad
    VietPad 1.0.2 Release

Slashdot
IBM Getting PwC Consulting for $3.5 Billion

    [0]MoThugz writes: "This [1]Yahoo! News article reports that [2]IBM
    will be buying [3]PriceWaterhouseCoopers Consulting for a cool $3.5
    billion in cash and stock. From the page: 'The purchase is aimed at
    boosting slowing revenues in the computer giant's large services
    business, which now accounts for more revenue than its well-known
    computers and mainframes. ... The merger gives IBM, the world's largest
    supplier of computers and computer services, the consulting arm of
    PriceWaterhouseCoopers, the world's largest accounting firm. The
    combined IBM-PriceWaterhouseCoopers will rank a close second to top
    consultant Accenture Ltd. , formerly Andersen Consulting.'"
Links
    0. http://www.heritage-tech.net
    1.
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=569&ncid=738&e=2&u=/nm/20020731/tc_nm/services_pricewaterhouse_dc_8
    2. http://www.ibm.com/
    3. http://www.pwcconsulting.com/

Interview with ICANN's Karl Auerbach

    katie writes "Great interview! ICANN, the Infofascist organization
    which rules the Internet with more effective power than any government,
    was [0]told yesterday to 'fess up and show its knickers to
    reform-minded Board member Karl Auerbach. DesktopLinux.com Contributing
    Editor Malcolm Dean [1]interviewed Auerbach at the Los Angeles Superior
    Court ..."
Links
    0. __SLASHLINK__
    1. http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT3742425599.html

HP Uses DMCA To Quash Vulnerability Publication

    Several readers wrote to note the fact that HP has evidently
    [0]threatened to use the DMCA and computer crime laws against
    [1]SnoSoft who have found a security flaw in [2]Tru64. The quote from
    the HP VP is that the accused "could be fined up to $500,000 and
    imprisoned for up to five years."
Links
    0. http://news.com.com/2100-1023-947325.html
    1.
http://www.snosoft.com/
    2.
http://www.tru64unix.compaq.com/

DIY BMW Computer Chair

    [0]vortimax writes "Roger Arrick has put up a [1]web page describing
    his quest to build the ultimate computer chair. It's based on the
    powered passenger seat from a late-model BMW. Add a power supply, a
    frame with a working surface, and you've got one unique computer
    workstation." Nothing like automated lumbar support while you're
    gam^H^H^H working. Just good luck getting the parts on your own ;)
Links
    0. http://www.ncc.com/srainwater/
    1. http://www.robotics.com/chair/

UCITA Debates Trudge Onward

    prockcore writes: "CNet is running a story on a debate involving
    [0]proposed changes to the Uniform Computer Information Transactions
    Act (UCITA). Changes include altering Opt-in/Opt-out rules, removing
    limits on public criticism, removing some limits on reverse
    engineering, among others."
Links
    0. http://news.com.com/2100-1023-947182.html?tag=fd_top

Death to the 3.5" Floppy?

    [0]BawbBitchen writes "[1]PC World in NZ is running this [2]story about
    PC makers struggling to try to kill the floppy as a standard PC part.
    Gateway has started to take $10 off the price of a PC if you order the
    PC without the floppy. Hum, well my Mac does not have a floppy and I do
    not miss it & my Linux Server has one that I have never used. Does
    anyone out there still use their floppy?"
Links
    0. mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
    1. http://www.idg.net.nz/
    2.
http://www.idg.net.nz/webhome.nsf/UNID/4A45891B23637DE5CC256C050076CED8!opendocument

VNC Server for Toasters and Light-Switches

    An anonymous reader submits: "How about using VNC to configure your
    toaster, microwave oven, or even your light-switches? Thanks to Adam
    Dunkels' [0]micro-VNC server it is now possible to run a VNC server
    even on really small embedded 8-bit microcontrollers commonly found in
    such devices. The idea is that even low-cost devices that don't have a
    screen or graphics hardware could have a GUI, accessible over the
    network. To show that the server can run with very small amounts of
    memory, there is a [1]demo server running on a Commodore 64. But the
    real question is: how would want to 'configure' their toasters using a
    GUI?"
Links
    0. http://www.sics.se/~adam/uvnc/
    1. http://tfe.c64.org/

Douglas Adams, Narnia, and Trailers

    A few interesting movie tidbits: [0]Joel Greengrass writes "Final
    post-production has been completed on the long awaited documentary,
    'Life, the Universe, and Douglas Adams.' Narrated by Neil Gaiman, the
    film is a tribute documentary about the life, loves, and passions, of
    the greatest sci fi comedy writer ever, Douglas Adams. The film will be
    available for sale on August 4 at [1]douglasadams.com." Reader
    [2]The_Shadows writes "[3]Sci-fi Storm and [4]Scfi.com's Scifi-wire are
    reporting that [5]Walden Media exercised options for feature-length,
    big screen versions of the Chronicles of Narnia, by C. S. Lewis. They
    have also found an Emmy award winning writer (Ann Peacock) to adapt the
    most famous book, 'The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.'" And
    finally, there's an interesting piece about the process of [6]turning a
    two-hour movie into a two-minute trailer.
Links
    0. mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
    1. http://www.douglasadams.com/
    2. http://thelureofshadows&hotmail,com
    3. http://scifistorm.org/article.pl?sid=02/07/26/2012204
    4. http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main.html?2002-07/26/11.15.film
    5. http://www.walden.com/home.html
    6. http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/28/magazine/28TRAILERS.html?pagewanted=all

NYC Subways Testing Flywheels

    socolow writes "The New York Times (free registration required) has an
    article about the NYC subway system's use of [0]flywheels to store the
    braking energy of trains approaching stations. Not only does this
    advance the development of flywheel energy storage, but it will help
    relieve a lot of the heat subways generate (always appreciated during
    the summer)."
Links
    0. http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/30/nyregion/30TUNN.html

GUIs for Everyone

    An anonymous submitter writes: "A former Microsoft and Creative Labs
    interface designer has an interesting [0]diatribe on the approach of
    Linux GUIs on the desktop. Thomas Krul has three Microsoft patents for
    human factors research into digital interfaces and graphic software
    functionality. Probably most known for the interface work he had done
    on Softimage DS and its web site. Though not a technical read, it does
    provide an interesting note on the approach for Linux on the desktop."
    And [1]headless_ringmaster notes that [2]Jef Raskin, the guy who
    designed the first Macintosh and author of [3]The Humane Interface, has
    a [4]SourceForge project putting his ideas into action.
Links
    0. http://www.protocopy.com/osgui.html
    1. mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
    2. http://www.jefraskin.com/
    3. http://www.jefraskin.com/forjef2/jefweb-compiled/humaneinterface/index.html
    4. http://sourceforge.net/projects/humane/

Software.linux.com
E*Reminders
http://software.linux.com/articles/view/1542/

    Damn, it's gone. Another senior moment has struck again. Old age is
    creeping up on me, with or without my permission. Listen, my problem's
    that I'm always in front of my PC... and far away from my calender.
    That's why I prefer program's that utilize my e-mail acount.

Copyright (c) 2002 OSDN. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without
express written permission of OSDN is prohibited.
url - http://www.osdn.com
email - [EMAIL PROTECTED]