Awhile back I started getting issues in my support box from users
of the Tungsten W and one of my apps; the application would just crash
(wedge, or sometimes emit a Fatal) when they'd pull down a specific
pulldown menu. You could use other pulldown menus in the app, but hitting
the one menu would crash the device.

        The app has been in use for years and works on every Palm OS
device out there.... until he T|W came out. (It works fine on OS2, 3, 4,
5 :) The issue is with really wide menus.

        (Aside form the fact its naughty to have menus too wide; so be
it. But the fact is that wide menus work on all PAlm OS devices except the
T|W :)

        As a test application, you can make a tall menu; if you fill the
screen lengthwise, its okay.. the text will not be cut mid-word.. the
bottom of the text will rest just above the bottom edge of the screen, and
the menu border will be clipped.

        On every unit except the T|W, the left and right borders will be
clipped, if you have to have a really wide menu.

        One of our menus was 3/4 the width of the screen. At some point, a
shortcut was added to a wide item, which made the menu the full width of
the screen. No problem.. it was fine on every unit (and we tested them
all, and have a rigourous alpha and beta test).

        Just reducing the text of the menu fixed it.

        But the T|W would wedge on this wide menu; doing anything to
reduce the width solves the problem. We were caught off guard when an app
published years ago suddenly started acting up on an OS4.1 machine :)

        Seems like the OS has a bug for the T|W that no other device has.

                jeff

--
"Have you played Atari today?"