Dorian,

If by chance you have a list of coordinates for your junction-points, and you have a list junction-pairs you can construct a "wire-frame grid."

Junction-point arrays: X(1:NUMJP), Y(1:NUMJP), Z(1:NUMJP)

Junction-pair array: BAR(1:2,1:NUMBR)

Where NUMJP = Number of junction points, NUMBR = Number of bars.

The value for BAR(1,n) is the array location in X,Y,Z for the first point of junction-pair "n", and the value for BAR(2,n) is the array location in X,Y,Z for the second point of junction-pair "n"

The simplest and best documented format for these arrays to be read into ParaView is the VTK-Legacy datum set description. ( http://www.vtk.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/file-formats.pdf and see page 9 with a VTK_LINE).

Once you have the "static" grid displayed then you can then consider a "dynamic" display, that is, a time-series display.

To get a time-series display, you will need a "time schedule" that represents when each junction-pair is communicating (firing?).

Each time their is a communication between two points you will need another copy of the static grid display file, for example, syn000.vtk, syn001.vtk, syn002.vtk, ...

where

syn000.vtk has cell data for *all* bars with a value, say, "0.0" the static state

syn001.vtk has cell data for each 'communicating' bar with a cell value "1.0"

If you have 999, different time values for junction-pair communications, then you will have a file sequence out to syn999.vtk. The VTK-reader in ParaView will 'see' this  file sequence and treat it as a time-series. The animation feature in ParaView, will let you create an *.avi file that is a 'movie' of the junction-pairs communicating over time.

At this point, if you have an idea of how long it takes for a signal to go from one point to another, you can add "way-points" to the bars to get a 'multiple-cell' bar and illuminate the signal passage in the bar cell-by-cell with 0, 0, 0.5, 1.0, 0.5, 0, 0, 0, ...

For myself, I would write a small program that takes the arrays, X, Y, Z, and BAR and writes them out to a VTK-Legacy file.

It will take some effort to create a sequence of VTK-Legacy files, but ParaView  will become more versatile with a proper datum set. Your VTK-Legacy writer is easily expanded to include more data.

Sam Key