Ken,

Thanks for your reply. The problem with that approach is that all the features
I am interested in make sense if they are plotted on a sphere (they approximate
the Earth surface). So, there is no builtin solution for that?

One more question: How can I access the actual latitude, longitude and depth
parameter values using Python. I can see their extent and bounds, but I can not
see how I can access the individual values:

temp.GetBounds()
(0.0, 359.0, -89.0, 89.0, -2750.0, 50.0)
temp.GetDimensions()
(360, 179, 57)
temp.GetExtent()
(0, 359, 0, 178, 0, 56)