Ahmad,

Please keep replies on the mailing list. Responses are inlined.

On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 9:25 AM, Ahmad . <super_ac...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Cory,
>

> Thanks for your reply.
>

> I am trying to implement your suggestion of extending the vtkGlyph3D with
> this additional "scaling by normals".
>
> The idea seems quite straightforward. I was just wondering how to
> incorporate this new class in my C++ pipeline.
>
> Currently I create the glyph, and set its properties, like this:
>

> vtkSmartPointer<vtkSMSourceProxy> glyph;
>         glyph.TakeReference(vtkSMSourceProxy::SafeDownCast(
>             session_manager_->NewProxy("filters", "Glyph")));
>         controller_->PreInitializeProxy(glyph);
>
>         vtkSMPropertyHelper(glyph, "Input").Set(producer);
>         vtkSMPropertyHelper(glyph, "Source").Set(
> GetCylinderSource(glyph));
>         vtkSMPropertyHelper(glyph, "ScaleMode", true).Set(0);
>         vtkSMPropertyHelper(glyph, "ScaleFactor", true).Set(1.0);
>         vtkSMPropertyHelper(glyph, "GlyphMode", true).Set(0);
>
> As you can see I am not directly working with vtkGlyph3D or
> vtkPVGlyphFilter classes, but I am using the vtkSMPropertyHelper to take
> care of the boilerplate code.

Right. Unfortunately, implementing my suggestion would require creating a
subclass of vtkPVGlyphFilter and importing that with a ParaView plugin. See
the ParaView Howto on how to add a filter to ParaView.

> After I created a new class that has this extra scaling option, how would
> I go about using this in such a pipeline? Do I need to 'register' my "
> ModifiedGlyph" to the filter proxies to be able to do something like
> `NewProxy("filters", "ModifiedGlyph")`?

Yes, that should do it. Your modified glyph class will be available once
you've imported the ParaView plugin mentioned above.

A quick question about setting the active normals. Is there an existing way
> to do this, or would I need to do this myself? I would like to do this the
> same way one would set the "Scalars":
>

> vtkSMPropertyHelper(glyph, "Normals")
>             .SetInputArrayToProcess(vtkDataObject::POINT, "ScalingArray");

I think that should work.

Best,
Cory

--