I think the python scripting with embedded data is worth a try. I'm not
familiar with the built-in vs other server modes so I'm not sure what kind
of restrictions that entails.  Probably my ultimate goal is to build a
reader plugin that will parse the data out of my application's native
format but generating a script seems like a decent interim solution.

Thanks,
Wyatt