Hi, Keith,

I don't want a steal, but I know what I want to pay for something, and I don't want
to pay more.  Is that a bad thing?

A seller has the right to start an auction at whatever price he/she wants.  They have
the right to put whatever reserve they want on it.  I don't begrudge them that.

I have the right to bid on whatever auction I want (or not).  What's the problem with
that?

I'm not going to buy something on eBay for what it would fetch at a used camera
store.  I'm not going to pay what it would be worth from a PDML list member, either.
Usually, I have no idea who the heck an eBay seller is (even with feedback, one can
never be sure).  In a store, I can hold and try an item, and I'll get a meaningful
warranty.  I trust PDML'ers, so while I can't usually physically try something out, I
know that I'll get satisfaction.

I don't have that assurance on eBay (at least not to the same extent), so I bid
accordingly.

[major backtrack alert!]  I will sometimes bid on items that have reserves, in hopes
that the reserve is low enough that I feel I'm paying a reasonable price.  Usually it
isn't, but I'll test the waters if it's something I want.

But, to repeat my earlier position, what bugs me is high starting prices, with
reserves and BINs, where the reserve equals the bin.  Those aren't really auctions,
are they?  They're pretty much just classified ads on eBay.  They invariably are not
bargains (maybe not overly high prices, but not bargains), and I don't want any part
of it.

Do you begrudge me because I want to pay as little as possible for the best quality
possible?  Don't we all?  Do you walk into a car dealership (except Saturn, and
others with no-dicker pricing), and say, "I'll take that Ford Taurus, and I'll pay
list, thanks!"  Of course you don't.  First of all, becuase you don't strike me as
the Ford Taurus type of guy <vbg>, and secondly, because you know that's not how the
game's played.

But, look, Keith.  I pay more for my b&w film processing, because I've come to know
Robert, who owns and runs his little business, he's a great guy, does a great job,
does favours for me (not ones that cost money, but once in a while he'll rush things,
that sort of thing), provides great service, and I've become friends with him.  I
don't mind paying a premium to support a "little guy" like that.  We need those
sorts, don't we?

Know what else?  I've bought four not insignificant items from list members over the
years (probably more, but at least four).  I bought my MX and Winder from Wheatfield,
and I payed exactly what he asked for it.  When I got it, it kept jamming.  I got it
CLA'ed at my own expense (expect that with a used camera anyway...), and didn't bitch
or want a rebate - in fact, Wheatfield offered to refund the CLA from the price, and
I said "no".

I bought a 2.5 135mm Takumar (bayonet) - yes, the "dog" - from Mark Lindamood (sorry
if I spelled you surname wrong, Mark), and payed exactly what he asked.  I bought my
Leica CL from Dave Chang-Sang for his asking price.  Do you see a pattern here?  I
also bought a Super Tak 1.4 50mm and a Soligor m42 35-105 zoom from two other listers
(oops, that's five items) at the asking price.  The 1.4 was slightly yellowed when I
got it, and I didn't complain.  The Soligor is hardly stellar, but whatever.

These were purchases from friends (or near friends), and for those sorts of persons,
I don't think it's worth bargaining $20 or $50 off an item - I pay what they ask or I
don't buy.

eBay is different for me.  I don't feel the same loyalty to those sellers, so I try
to get the best price I can (plus there's the uncertainty of a deal being completed,
or of getting damaged goods that affect what I'm prepared to bid).  There are
millions out there who are willing to pay more.  If there aren't, then the seller
either doesn't sell (if the reserve isn't met) or he doesn't get what he hoped for.
Them's the breaks.

Just don't tell me I'm looking for a steal.  I'm not that type of person, not with
people I know.

regards,
frank

--
"The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears it
is true." -J. Robert