Hi,

>> Who would be correct, the critic, or us, who had the benefit of the composer's
>> desire for how it should sound?  Seems to me the same would apply to a
>> photographer's interpretation of his image.

> Don't have time right now to go dig up the link I want to post
> here (I'm in the middle of something with a deadline), but
> Google for "intentional fallacy" if you're interested in seeing
> writings on this question.  I'll try to find the good essay I
> read a while ago, later.

I think you're talking about the anti-intentionalist theory of art.
Something like it was raised here a few days ago in the  Leni
Riefenstahl thread.

The theory is, very roughly, that we should only pay heed to intentions
that are embodied in the work of art itself. Anything we learn from
the artist's life, diaries, journals, manifesto etc. are irrelevant to
critical interpretation. Anti-intentionalists say that the Intentional
Fallacy is to rely on external evidence to criticise a work of art.

--
Cheers,
 Bob                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]