So there is no problem with camera shake. I still use the Jack Davis formula TAV, 1/2000sec, f8 with my 170-500 for H/H at full stretch but still, like you, I find the AF screw drive somewhat lacking & seldom manage successful quick grabs. Too much glass for quick focus. The new PLM's are greased lightning by comparison but my budget won't stretch that far.  I get a success rate of only about 10% shooting aerobatics. Thank goodness for digital. My 55-300 behaves much better.

Alan C