brian d foy writes:

> In article
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Damian
> Conway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > No. It's Pod. *Any* line that begins with '=begin' always starts a Pod
> > block. Always.
>
> As you know, one of the biggest complaints about Perl is that you have
> to have a lot of special rules knowledge to figure some things out.

Indeed.  What's much nicer is to be able to state that a given rule
"always" applies.

Like Damian has just done here.

Saying that C<=> at the start of a line always means Pod is much simpler
than having a list of exceptions of places where it doesn't.

> Also, doesn't this then limit Pod to Perl 6 (which I thought was not
> the goal)?

I reckon the complete opposite.

> I doubt other languages will want to deal with this situation.

With these new Pod rules it's possible to entirely remove Pod from a
file without knowing _anything_ about the host language.  (It could
straightforwardly be done as an editor macro, for example.)  That
permits Pod to be used to document just about anything; all you need to
allow it is a filter that strips off all Pod before you do anything else
with the file.

If Pod were to take notice of the host language's context throughout the
file then this would not be possible: every language which wished to
have Pod support would require its own Pod parser embedded within the
languge parser.  _That_ is orders of magnitude more complex than the
simplicity of filtering off all Pod first, and strikes me as something
other languages are much less likely to be bothered to do.

Smylers