On 06.01.23 08:04, Jeff Davis wrote:
The existing code is not great, in my opinion: it doesn't have clear
API boundaries, the comments are insufficient, and lots of special
cases need to be handled awkwardly by callers. That style is hard to
beat when it comes to the raw line count; but it's quite difficult to
understand and work on.

I think my changes are an improvement, but obviously that depends on
the opinion of others who are working in this part of the code. What do
you think?

I think the refactoring that you proposed in the thread "Refactor to introduce pg_strcoll()." was on a sensible track. Maybe we should try to get that done. The multiple-ICU stuff is still experimental and has its own rather impressive thread, so I don't think it's sensible to try to sort that out here.