Peter Geoghegan <p...@bowt.ie> writes:
> In practice this approach tends to run into problems when the relevant
> AST isn't available. For example, if there's code that only builds on
> Windows, maybe it won't work at all (at least on my Linux system).

Hmm, that could be a deal-breaker.  It's not going to be acceptable
to have to pgindent different parts of the system on different platforms
... at least not unless we can segregate them on the file level, and
even that would have a large PITA factor.

Still, we won't know unless someone makes a serious experiment with it.

                        regards, tom lane