Hi,

On 2023-01-21 17:20:35 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> I don't feel wedded to every last detail of what pgindent does (and
> especially not the bugs).  But I think if the new tool is not a pretty
> close match we'll be in for years of back-patching pain.  We have made
> changes in pgindent itself in the past, and the patching consequences
> weren't *too* awful, but the changes weren't very big either.

Perhaps we could backpatch formatting changes in a way that doesn't
inconvenience forks too much. One way to deal with such changes is to

1) revert the re-indent commits in $backbranch
2) merge $backbranch-with-revert into $forkbranch
3) re-indent $forkbranch

After that future changes should be mergable again.

Certainly doesn't do away with the pain entirely, but it does make it perhaps
bearable

Greetings,

Andres Freund