On 19.03.24 08:05, Amit Kapila wrote:
On Mon, Mar 18, 2024 at 7:22 PM Peter Eisentraut <pe...@eisentraut.org> wrote:

In check_subscriber(): All these permissions checks seem problematic
to me.  We shouldn't reimplement our own copy of the server's
permission checks.  The server can check the permissions.  And if the
permission checking in the server ever changes, then we have
inconsistencies to take care of.  Also, the error messages "permission
denied" are inappropriate, because we are not doing the actual thing.
Maybe we want to do a dry-run for the benefit of the user, but then we
should do the actual thing, like try to create a replication slot, or
whatever.  But I would rather just remove all this, it seems too
problematic.

If we remove all the checks then there is a possibility that we can
fail later while creating the actual subscription. For example, if
there are not sufficient max_replication_slots, then it is bound to
fail in the later steps which would be a costlier affair because by
that time the standby would have been promoted and the user won't have
any way to move forward but to re-create standby and then use this
tool again. I think here the patch tries to mimic pg_upgrade style
checks where we do some pre-checks.

I think checking for required parameter settings is fine. My concern is with the code before that, that does pg_has_role/has_database_privilege/has_function_privilege.