On 22.03.24 17:52, Robert Haas wrote:
On Wed, Sep 6, 2023 at 7:28 PM Nathan Bossart <nat...@postgresql.org> wrote:
Allow using syncfs() in frontend utilities.

This commit allows specifying a --sync-method in several frontend
utilities that must synchronize many files to disk (initdb,
pg_basebackup, pg_checksums, pg_dump, pg_rewind, and pg_upgrade).
On Linux, users can specify "syncfs" to synchronize the relevant
file systems instead of calling fsync() for every single file.  In
many cases, using syncfs() is much faster.

As with recovery_init_sync_method, this new option comes with some
caveats.  The descriptions of these caveats have been moved to a
new appendix section in the documentation.

Hi,

I'd like to complain about this commit's addition of a new appendix.

I already complained about that at <https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/42804669-7063-1320-ed37-3226d5f10...@eisentraut.org> and some follow-up was announced but didn't happen. It was on my list to look into cleaning up during beta.