On 5/10/24 21:48, Melanie Plageman wrote:
> On Thu, May 2, 2024 at 5:37 PM Tomas Vondra
> <tomas.von...@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 4/24/24 22:46, Melanie Plageman wrote:

>>> I suppose it's true that other tests in this file use joins to test
>>> other code. I guess if we limited join.sql to containing tests of join
>>> implementation, it would be rather small. I just imagined it would be
>>> nice if tests were grouped by what they were testing -- not how they
>>> were testing it.

>>> You mean I should explain in the test comment why I included the
>>> EXPLAIN plan output? (because it needs to contain a bitmapheapscan to
>>> actually be testing anything)
>>>

>> No, I meant that the comment before the test describes a couple
>> requirements the plan needs to meet (no need to process all inner
>> tuples, bitmapscan eligible for skip_fetch on outer side, ...), but it
>> does not explain why we're testing that plan.
>>
>> I could get to that by doing git-blame to see what commit added this
>> code, and then read the linked discussion. Perhaps that's enough, but
>> maybe the comment could say something like "verify we properly discard
>> tuples on rescans" or something like that?
>
> Attached is v3. I didn't use your exact language because the test
> wouldn't actually verify that we properly discard the tuples. Whether
> or not the empty tuples are all emitted, it just resets the counter to
> 0. I decided to go with "exercise" instead.

I did go over the v3 patch, did a bunch of tests, and I think it's fine
and ready to go. The one thing that might need some minor tweaks is the
commit message.

1) Isn't the subject "Remove incorrect assert" a bit misleading, as the
patch does not simply remove an assert, but replaces it with a reset of
the field the assert used to check? (The commit message does not mention
this either, at least not explicitly.)

2) The "heap AM-specific bitmap heap scan code" sounds a bit strange to
me, isn't the first "heap" unnecessary?

regards

--
Tomas Vondra