On Wed, May 15, 2024 at 11:46 AM Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 4, 2024 at 9:55 AM jian he <jian.universal...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > in the regexp_replace explanation section.
> > changing "N" to lower-case would be misleading for regexp_replace?
> > so I choose "count".
>
> I don't see why that would be confusing for regexp_replace
> specifically, but I think N => count is a reasonable change to make.
> However, I don't think this quite works:
>
> +     then the <replaceable>count</replaceable>'th match of the pattern
>
> An English speaker is more likely to understand what is meant by
> "N'th" than what is meant by "count'th". Even if they can guess, it's
> kinda strange-looking. I think it needs to be rephrased somehow, but
> I'm not sure exactly how.

I think this confusion goes to show that replacing N with count doesn't
work.

"replace_at" comes to mind as a better name.

By default, only the first match of the pattern is replaced.  If replace_at
is specified and greater than zero, then the first "replace_at - 1" matches
are skipped before making a single replacement (i.e., the g flag is ignored
when replace_at is specified.)

David J.