On Fri, May 17, 2024 at 7:11 AM Tomas Vondra
<tomas.von...@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Yeah, I 100% agree with this. If a patch bitrots and no one cares enough
> to rebase it once in a while, then sure - it's probably fine to mark it
> RwF. But forcing all contributors to do a dance every 2 months just to
> have a chance someone might take a look, seems ... not great.

I don't think that clicking on a link that someone sends you that asks
"hey, is this ready to be reviewed' qualifies as a dance.

I'm open to other proposals. But I think that if the proposal is
essentially "Hey, let's have the CFMs try harder to do the thing that
we've already been asking them to try to do for the last N years,"
then we might as well just not bother. It's obviously not working, and
it's not going to start working because we repeat the same things
about bouncing patches more aggressively. I just spent 2 days on it
and moved a handful of entries forward. To make a single pass over the
whole CommitFest at the rate I was going would take at least two
weeks, maybe three. And I am a highly experienced committer and
CommitFest manager with good facility in English and a lot of
experience arguing on this mailing list. I'm in the best possible
position to be able to do this well and efficiently and I can't. So
where are we going to find the people who can?

I think Andrey Borodin's nearby suggestion of having a separate CfM
for each section of the CommitFest does a good job revealing just how
bad the current situation is. I agree with him: that would actually
work. Asking somebody, for a one-month period, to be responsible for
shepherding one-tenth or one-twentieth of the entries in the
CommitFest would be a reasonable amount of work for somebody. But we
will not find 10 or 20 highly motivated, well-qualified volunteers
every other month to do that work; it's a struggle to find one or two
highly motivated, well-qualified CommitFest managers, let alone ten or
twenty. So I think the right interpretation of his comment is that
managing the CommitFest has become about an order of magnitude more
difficult than what it needs to be for the task to be done well.

> It does seem to me a part of the solution needs to be helping to get
> those patches reviewed. I don't know how to do that, but perhaps there's
> a way to encourage people to review more stuff, or review stuff from a
> wider range of contributors. Say by treating reviews more like proper
> contributions.

Well, I know that what would encourage *me* to do that is if I could
find the patches that fall into this category easily. I'm still not
going to spend all of my time on it, but when I do have time to spend
on it, I'd rather spend it on stuff that matters than on trying to
drain the CommitFest swamp. And right now every time I think "oh, I
should spend some time reviewing other people's patches," that time
promptly evaporates trying to find the patches that actually need
attention. I rarely get beyond the "Bug fixes" section of the
CommitFest application before I've used up all my available time, not
least because some people have figured out that labelling something
they don't like as a Bug fix gets it closer to the top of the CF list,
which is alphabetical by section.

> Long time ago there was a "rule" that people submitting patches are
> expected to do reviews. Perhaps we should be more strict this.

This sounds like it's just generating more manual work to add to a
system that's already suffering from needing too much manual work. Who
would keep track of how many reviews each person is doing, and how
many patches they're submitting, and whether those reviews were
actually any good, and what would they do about it?

One patch that comes to mind here is Thomas Munro's patch for
"unaccent: understand ancient Greek "oxia" and other codepoints merged
by Unicode". Somebody submitted a bug report and Thomas wrote a patch
and added it to the CommitFest. But there are open questions that need
to be researched, and this isn't really a priority for Thomas: he was
just trying to be nice and put somebody's bug report on a track to
resolution. Now, Thomas has many patches in the CommitFest, so if you
ask "does he review as much stuff as he has signed up to be reviewed,"
he clearly doesn't. Let's reject all of his patches, including this
one! And if on this specific patch you ask whether the author is
staying on top of it, he clearly isn't, so let's reject this one a
second time, just for that. Now, what have we accomplished by doing
all of that?

Not a whole lot, in general, because Thomas is a committer, so he can
still commit those patches if he wants, barring objections. However,
we have succeeded in kicking them out of our CI system, so if he does
commit them, they'll be more likely to break the buildfarm. And in the
case of this specific patch, what we've done is punish Thomas for
trying to help out somebody who submitted a bug report, and at the
same time, made the patch he submitted less visible to anyone who
might want to help with it.

Wahoo!

--
Robert Haas