--On Wednesday, May 12, 2004 16:22:58 -0400 Tom Lane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Larry Rosenman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
I was thinking of pq_pthread_* calls, and that function would
set a static flag for calling either the real pthread_* function
or a statically named version in libpgport.a that is a single thread
wrapper.

And how will you avoid having a link-time dependency on the real pthread function? You muttered about dlsym but how much code will that take, and what kind of runtime penalty will we incur? (IIRC the pthread functions are performance critical.)
The first call to ANY of the pthread_* functions would set the flag, and
would cache the dlsym() info.

Even more to the point, can you make it work at all? I seem to recall from the prior discussion that -Kpthread actually changes some code generation details on that platform. Are -Kpthread and non -Kpthread libraries interoperable at all?
Yes, this is how libc deals with it.

We wouldn't have a hard symbol for the pthread_* calls.

I can ask the compiler guys at SCO if you want.

I know, this sucks, but, I don't see any other way, other than linking
*ALL* libpq-using programs (including initdb and friends) with -K
pthread.

-Kpthread doesn't sound that bad to me, as long as it's documented.

regards, tom lane

-- Larry Rosenman http://www.lerctr.org/~ler Phone: +1 972-414-9812 E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] US Mail: 1905 Steamboat Springs Drive, Garland, TX 75044-6749