I have a small situation where it would be good to be able to embed a
perl routing in a php script. Is this possible? Or do I need to pass
control from php to a perl script and return?

A quick synopsis would be (in pseudo code)

<?php
        if($theFileType == "pdf" {
                // call convert.pl to get a thumbnail
        }
        else {
                // other file type processing
        }
?>

Alternatively, is there a module that can take a pdf file and make a
thumbnail of the first page?

Thanks,
Terry