You need php-cli rpm, it's not an extension, it's command line binary.

Ron King wrote:
When I installed Mandrake 10.0 I thought I had Apache, PHP, and MySQL installed correctly. I could serve web pages, MySQL worked, and when I tried the phpinfo() function, I got a page that looked OK. I could create simple php pages and serve them up. Then I tried to install pear, and things started to be not OK after all.

phpinfo() told me that the 'Configure Command' had both the following in it:

    --with-pear=/usr/share/pear
    --without-pear

So I tried to install pear manually, and when I tried the command:

$ lynx -source http://go-pear.org/ | php

I got the following response:

bash: php: command not found

I went looking for the executable so I could run it from that directory, and I couldn't find it anywhere.

I apparently have the following rpms installed:

    apache2-2.0.48-6.3.100mdk
    apache2-common-2.0.48-6.3.100mdk
    apache2-manual-2.0.48-6.3.100mdk
    apache2-mod_cache-2.0.48-6.3.100mdk
    apache2-mod_disk_cache-2.0.48-6.3.100mdk
    apache2-mod_perl-2.0.48_1.99_11-3mdk
    apache2-mod_php-2.0.48_4.3.4-1mdk
    apache2-mod_proxy-2.0.48-6.3.100mdk
    apache2-mod_ssl-2.0.48-6.3.100mdk
    apache2-mod_suexec-2.0.48-1mdk
    apache2-modules-2.0.48-6.3.100mdk
    apache-conf-2.0.48-2mdk

Also the following php-related rpms:

    libphp_common432-4.3.4-4.1.100mdk
    php-imap-4.3.4-1mdk
    php-ini-4.3.4-1mdk
    php-mysql-4.3.4-1mdk
    php-xml-4.3.4-1mdk
    php-xmlrpc-4.3.4-1mdk

When I use rpmdrake to search for other packages to install, I see the following choices:

    mod_php-4.3.4-1mdk
    php432-devel-4.3.4-4.1.100mdk
    php432-devel-4.3.4-4mdk
    php-calendar-4.3.4-1mdk
    php-cgi-4.3.4-4.1.100mdk
    php-cgi-4.3.4-4mdk
    php-dbg-4.3.4_2.11.5-1mdk
    php-manual-en-4.3.4-1mdk
    phpMyAdmin-2.5.4-1mdk
    php-pear-4.3.4-3mdk
    php-pear-Date-1.4-4mdk
    php-pear-HTML_Common-1.2.1-3mdk
    php-pear-HTML_Select-1.2-3mdk

There are a bunch of other php modules available, but I don't think I need them right away.

Here's my question: Should I just uninstall Apache and reinstall it, then install php and pear? Should I compile Apache myself? If I do that, I'm not sure of all the configuration options I should choose. Or should I just install the new rpms that I think I want, and rpmdrake will make everything work nicely together?

Sorry if this is too Mandrake-centric, but I'd like to use RPMs if possible, I'm hoping that makes it easier to upgrade in the future.

Thanks,  Ron