How to use this list best:

Search the archives at lists.php.net for [NEWBIE GUIDE] It was written
by Jay Blanchard earlier this year I believe. Read it.

Then read this: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Then try learning PHP from the PHP manual. If you come across a
problem, then explain the problem, AND WHAT STEPS YOU HAVE TAKEN TO
SOLVE THE PROBLEM YOURSELF BEFORE POSTING TO THE LIST.

Give a little back. After you've learn't a little, and you see someone
else posting a question that you know the answer to an feel you can
explain well, then hit your email clients reply button.

If you want to fit in, and you want to be taken seriously, and most
importantly if you want to learn, then consider the above points.