----- Original Message ----- From: "Barry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <php-general@lists.php.net>
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 3:16 PM
Subject: Re: [PHP] How to get a network drive name

Ibrahima TALL wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Moseby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <php-general@lists.php.net>
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 2:34 PM

Hi everybody !

I would need a help in php or a portable javascript solution
(for several browsers).

My problem is :  i have no solution about how to get a
network drive name.
For exemple, getting COMMON in COMMON(X:).

The only solution i saw was using activeX controls with
javascript but the problem is that this controls are only
compatible with IE.
I'm working with php under XP.

Sorry for my bad english, i hope i was clear however, any
suggests are welcome, thanks !

In the context of a webserver/browser scenario, PHP will only be able to
tell you about the webserver, as it is a server-side technology.

Yes i have a php application, so a server-side application.
In the machine where the server is installed i have mapped COMMON1(X:), COMMON2(Y:) and COMMON3(Z:) network drives and now what i need is to get COMMON1, COMMON2, COMMON3 informations in stead of X:, Y:, Z:. I have no problem for getting X:, Y:, Z: (if(is_dir("X:") works very well for that))

Nothing

about PHP 'runs' in the browser. In other words, you can probably get all the information you want about the SERVER's network drive names, and display
that on the user's browser,

Ok, so in php, how can i get the netowok drive names i mapped on the server and to display them in the client's browsers ?

Told ya.
Over the shell.
You can output the "shell output" into a variable.

e.g.
//code
echo shell_exec ("vol c:");

This shows the Name of the volume C: on windoze systems.
you can also do
$var = shell_exec ("vol c:");

and then ereg the name out of it

i have already tryed this command barry, in fact the name of the volume is
different from the name of a network drive. A volume concerns a partition i
think
For exemple, you can define many drives, let say COMMON1(X:), COMMON2(Y:) in
the DISK(C:).
In this situation, the volume name is DISK for the three drives and
different from COMMON1 and COMMON2.
I have tried many other dos commands but with no succes
TALL Ibrahima

Barry
--
Smileys rule (cX.x)C --o(^_^o)
Dance for me! ^(^_^)o (o^_^)o o(^_^)^ o(^_^o)