K. Hayes wrote:
Will do.  Thanks.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Lucas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "kvigor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <php-general@lists.php.net>
Sent: Saturday, June 30, 2007 1:46 AM
Subject: Re: [PHP] Selecting Rows Based on Row Values Being in Array

kvigor wrote:
Hello All,

I'm attempting to return rows from a mysql DB based on this criteria:

I have a list, in the form of an array that I need to compare against each row
in the table.  Where theres a match I need that entire row returned.

e.g. $varListof 3outOf_10Fields = array(6blue40lbs, 7orange50lbs, 8orange60lbs, 9purple70lbs);

The array contains 3 of the db row fields in 1 value. However there are 10 fields/columns in the table.

===============
what table looks like  |
===============
                  size       color    weight
ROW 1    | value1 | value1 | value1 | value1 | value1 | value1 |

So how could I set up a query that would SELECT the entire row, if the row contained $varListof 3outOf_10Fields[1].

Open to any suggestions or work arounds. I'm playing with extract() but code is too crude to even post.

I would suggest approaching the problem with a slightly different thought.

just have the sql concat() the columns together and then compare.

something like this should do the trick

$list = array(
'6blue40lbs',
'7orange50lbs',
'8orange60lbs',
'9purple70lbs',
);

$SQL = "
SELECT *
FROM my_Table
WHERE CONCAT(value1, value2, value3) IN ('".join("','", $list)."')
";

mysql_query($SQL);

this should take, for each row in the DB, value1 + value2 + value3 and create one string from them, then it will compare each string in the
IN (...)  portion to each entry in the $list array().

Let me know if you need any further help
one other thing, make sure that you run each of the values in the $list array() through mysql_real_escape_string(). That way it is all nicely encoded for the SQL statement.