Paul M Foster wrote:
On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 12:05:34PM -0700, Don Collier wrote:

I am just learning PHP from the O'Reilly "Learning PHP 5" book and I
have a question regarding the formatting of text.  Actually it is a
couple of questions.

First, when I use the \n and run the script from the command line it
works great.  When I run the same code in a browser it does not put the
newline in and the text runs together.  I know that I can use <br/> to
do the same thing, but why is it this way?

Browser don't break lines on the \n character. They only break on <br>
or <p> tags. That's just the way it is. You can use the PHP function
nl2br() to insert <br> tags where the \n characters are.

The second question is closely related to the first.  When formatting
text using printf the padding works great when running from the command
line but not at all when in a browser.

Browsers don't respect multiple spaces, etc., except in between certain
tags, like <pre></pre>. Instead, they combine multiple spaces into a
single space and break lines where they like, based on layout. You can
use the HTML &nbsp; character if you don't want lines or phrases to
break at the whim of the browser. If you want exact layout (columns
lined up, etc.), the simplest solution is to use HTML tables.

Paul

Thanks to everyone that responded. From what I am seeing in the responses if I plan on using php for command line scripts things get written one way. If, on the other hand, the php is written for a web page it gets written a slightly different way inserting html where necessary for formatting.