On Jan 29, 2009, at 6:07 PM, Eric Butera <eric.but...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 9:02 PM, Paul M Foster <pa...@quillandmouse.com > wrote:
On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 11:10:16AM +1100, Clancy wrote:

<snip>

As a former assembly language programmer I have some idea of the vast
amount of thumb
twiddling which is going on behind-the-scenes when I make some apparently
simple request
like the one to get my phone number. Undoubtedly most of this occurs in
the murky depths
of the operating system, but if there were any simple way to avoid adding
to it
unnecessarily it would be nice to know about it.

Ahhh, finally someone who understands this principle. There's simply no
reason to waste cycles if you don't have to.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster

Flip side of the coin: also no point in wasting 10 hours accomplishing
something that can be done in 2 on a management screen that rarely
gets used. :)

I know this well. I also work in a framework where 8 nested foreaches can be found. Arrays are hardly expensive in my position...

--
http://www.voom.me | EFnet: #voom

----
No seriously... http://voom.me | EFnet #voom