Thanks for your email. I did the changes you suggested, and the page  is now
going
to" input.php?=" ie no record of the SID.

I added the following lines to the code.

echo "SID: $SID";
and
echo "SID: $PHPSESSID";

and $SID was not displayed i.e just SID: was displayed. I guess this is the
problem.
For some reason,  SID is not assigned a value. However, PHP is creating a file
in /tmp
on the server called sess_09591b3e465294959ecde0ee41f6c188 and as I said in
the last e-mail, sessions with cookies is working fine.

Thanks again for any ideas. I am using php 4.0.5 running on Sun Solaris

David