Further to the last e-mail the plot thickens.......

If cookies is turned on, the line

echo "SID: $PHPSESSID";

displays the session id. I thought the whole idea of using $PHPSESSID was so that
sessions
would work with cookies turned off! Am I missing something here?

I disabled cookies via the preferences advanced tab in Netscape.

David