Sorry in advance for the top post.

Use the right tool for
the Job.  I've use Java, C# and PHP.

1.  I hate the
Perl-like object calls in PHP.  I'd rather use "." notation
in C# and Java.  It saves a lot of wear and tear on my left pinky
finger.
2.  Java and C# are both typed languages.  Say what
you want, but I have working with a string like "02" and have
PHP convert that to an integer.  sometimes I want that zero in
front.  If I want that to be an integer in Java it's "int
myInteger = Integer.parseInt("02");"

3.
Java development environments (Eclipses, NetBeans, IBM RAD) are pretty
horrible.  Visual Studio is hands down a better envrionment, even the
older versions of it. I've hooked Visual Studio into SVN in the past and
it works well.

4 PHP development environments are many and
varied and all of them suck at web debugging.  I've used PHPEdit,
Zend, Bluefish, Eclipse and a couple others.  Bluefish works better
on Linux than it does on Windows.

Use the tool for the job at
hand.

Just my $0.02 worth.

cheers,
Curtis

Tim Streater wrote:
> On 20 Aug 2013 at 23:59,
PHP List <phpl...@arashidigital.com> wrote:

While I don't have any references to back it up - my guess would be
>> that
>> Java may be seen as more versatile in
general programming terms.  A
>> staggering number of
enterprise level web applications are built with
>> Java, add
to that the possibility of writing Android apps with the same
>> knowledge.
>
> To me the salient point is,
does java has as extensive a library or set of
> interfaces to
other packages (such as SQLite, mysql, etc)?

would say that, in general, the other teacher is incorrect speaking
>> strictly in terms of web development.  PHP has already won that
crown
>> many times over.  That said, when I was in University,
it was difficult
>> to find a programming class that taught
anything but Java - and that
>> was
>> 10yrs ago
now.  I chalked it up to the education bubble not being able

to see what the rest of the world is actually doing.

Was PHP OOP-capable at the time? Perhaps the edu-bubble was simply
looking
> down its nose at PHP. There being lots of courses proves
nothing in and of
> itself. 20 years ago, there were lots of PC
mags you could buy, which
> caused some folks to say "look
how much better the PC is supported than
> other platforms".
Truth was, at the time, such support was needed given
> the mess
of 640k limits, DOS, IRQs and the like, most of which issues have
> ceased to be relevant.
>
> Anyway, why should one
need a course to learn PHP, assuming you already
> know other
languages. It's simple enough.

> --
> Cheers