<cur...@maurand.com>

>> Sorry in advance for the top post.
>>
>> Use the right tool for
>> the Job.
I've use Java, C# and PHP.

>> 1.  I hate the
>> Perl-like object calls in PHP.  I'd rather use "."
notation
>> in C# and Java.  It saves a lot of wear and tear on
my left pinky
>> finger.

Actually the problem is, that the dot "." is already in use.
With
> $foo.bar() you cannot tell, if you want to call the method
"bar()" on the
> object "$foo", or if you want
to concatenate the value of "$foo" to the
> result of
the function "bar()". There is no other way around this than
> different operator for method calls.

I didn't think
of that.  It seems to me there could be an easier operator than ->
which sometimes will make me stop and look at what keys I'm trying to
hit.  Just a thought.  I forgot about the concatenation operator
which is "+" in Java/C#

>> 2.
Java and C# are both typed languages.  Say what
>> you want,
but I have working with a string like "02" and have
>> PHP convert that to an integer.  sometimes I want that zero
in
>> front.  If I want that to be an integer in Java it's
"int
>> myInteger =
Integer.parseInt("02");"

>> 3.
>> Java development environments (Eclipses, NetBeans, IBM RAD) are
pretty
>> horrible.  Visual Studio is hands down a better
envrionment, even the
>> older versions of it. I've hooked
Visual Studio into SVN in the past and
>> it works well.
>>

> Ever tried the jetbrains products? :D (No,
they  don't pay me)

I have not, but it looks interesting.
I'll have to try it.

>> 4 PHP development environments are many and

varied and all of them suck at web debugging.  I've used PHPEdit,
>> Zend, Bluefish, Eclipse and a couple others.  Bluefish works
better
>> on Linux than it does on Windows.
>>

> I use PhpStorm and it works quite fine.
>

>> Use the tool for the job at
>> hand.
>>
>> Just my $0.02 worth.
>>
>> cheers,
>> Curtis
>>
>> Tim Streater wrote:
>> > On 20 Aug 2013 at
23:59,
>> PHP List <phpl...@arashidigital.com> wrote:
>> >

>> While I don't have
any references to back it up - my guess would be

that
>> general programming terms.  A
number of
>> enterprise level web applications are built
with
>> to that the
possibility of writing Android apps with the same

knowledge.

>> > To me the salient point
is,
>> does java has as extensive a library or set of
>> > interfaces to
>> other packages (such as
SQLite, mysql, etc)?

>> would say that, in general, the other teacher is incorrect
speaking
has already won that
>> crown
over.  That said, when I was in University,
>> it was
difficult
taught
>> anything but Java - and that

was
>> now.  I chalked it up
to the education bubble not being able

>> to see what the rest of the world is actually doing.
>> >

>> Was PHP OOP-capable at
the time? Perhaps the edu-bubble was simply
>> looking
>> > down its nose at PHP. There being lots of courses
proves
>> nothing in and of
>> > itself. 20 years
ago, there were lots of PC
>> mags you could buy, which
>> > caused some folks to say "look
>> how much
better the PC is supported than
>> > other
platforms".
>> Truth was, at the time, such support was
needed given
>> > the mess
>> of 640k limits,
DOS, IRQs and the like, most of which issues have

ceased to be relevant.

>> > Anyway, why
should one
>> need a course to learn PHP, assuming you
already
>> > know other
>> languages. It's simple
enough.