On Tue, 2013-08-27 at 16:16 +0930, David Robley wrote:

> Ethan Rosenberg wrote:
>
> > Dear List -
> >
> > Tried to run the program, that we have been discussing, and received a
> > 403 error.
> >
> > rosenberg:/var/www# ls -la StoreInventory.php
> > -rwxrwxrw- 1 ethan ethan 4188 Aug 26 20:26 StoreInventory.php
> >
> > rosenberg:/var# ls -ld www
> > drwxrwxrw- 37 ethan ethan 20480 Aug 26 20:26 www
> >
> > I had set the S bit [probably a nasty mistake] and I thought I was able
> > to remove the bit. [it doesn't show above]
> >
> > How do I extricate myself from the hole into which I have planted myself?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Ethan
>
> This is in no way a php question, as the same result will happen no matter
> what you ask apache to serve from that directory.
>
> You have the directory permissions set to 776 not 777.
> --
> Cheers
> David Robley
>
> Steal this tagline and I'll tie-dye your cat!

776 won't matter in the case of a directory, as the last bit is for the
eXecute permissions, which aren't applicable to a directory. What

It's possible that this is an SELinux issue, which adds an extra layer
of permissions over files. To see what those permissions are, use the -Z
flag for ls. Also, check the SELinux logs (assuming that it's running
and it is causing a problem) to see if it brings up anything. It's
typically found on RedHat-based distros.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk