On 08/27/2013 03:07 AM, David Robley wrote:
Ashley Sheridan wrote:

On Tue, 2013-08-27 at 16:16 +0930, David Robley wrote:

Ethan Rosenberg wrote:

Dear List -

Tried to run the program, that we have been discussing, and received a
403 error.

rosenberg:/var/www# ls -la StoreInventory.php
-rwxrwxrw- 1 ethan ethan 4188 Aug 26 20:26 StoreInventory.php

rosenberg:/var# ls -ld www
drwxrwxrw- 37 ethan ethan 20480 Aug 26 20:26 www

I had set the S bit [probably a nasty mistake] and I thought I was able
to remove the bit. [it doesn't show above]

How do I extricate myself from the hole into which I have planted
myself?

TIA

Ethan

This is in no way a php question, as the same result will happen no
matter what you ask apache to serve from that directory.

You have the directory permissions set to 776 not 777.
--
Cheers
David Robley

Steal this tagline and I'll tie-dye your cat!

776 won't matter in the case of a directory, as the last bit is for the
eXecute permissions, which aren't applicable to a directory. What

I beg to differ here. If the x bit isn't set on a directory, that will
prevent scanning of the directory; in this case apache will be prevented
from scanning the directory and will return a 403.

It's possible that this is an SELinux issue, which adds an extra layer
of permissions over files. To see what those permissions are, use the -Z
flag for ls. Also, check the SELinux logs (assuming that it's running
and it is causing a problem) to see if it brings up anything. It's
typically found on RedHat-based distros.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

I checked with the -Z option

ethan@rosenberg:/var/www$ ls -lZ StoreInventory.php
-rwxrwsr-t 1 ethan ethan ? 4232 Aug 27 00:18 StoreInventory.php

Ethan

PS David-

I promise that I will not steal your tag line. My short hair American tabby cat [Gingy Feline Rosenberg]is too nice to have anything done to her.