Arno: If you can request that file using a web browser, and it gets executed
as PHP on your server then there is an error in the Apache configuration.

Easy test: create a file in a text editor containing some PHP (<?php
phpinfo(); ?> would be enough) and upload it to the www root of your site
and name it test.pgif. Then hit http://www.yourdomain.com/test.pgif in your
browser. If you see the PHP code or an error then you're fine. If you see
PHP's info page then you need to change web host as quickly as possible. I
don't care if they fix it - the fact their server was configured to do this
by default is enough for me to never trust them again.

-Stuart
--

Thanks Stuart. I just tried it now, test.php.pgif displayed the info while
test.xyz.pgif returned the content, confirming the problem. My service

As a side note, the sp said the issue is new and coincided with an upgrade
to fastcgi recently, I wonder if the hacker was exploiting a known issue
with that scenario?

Cheers
Arno