Can someone give me an understanding of how the .ini settings are located and combined? I am under the impression that there is a full settings .ini file somewhere up high in my host's server tree and that any settings I create in .ini files in each of my domain folders are appended/updated against the 'main' ini settings to give me a 'current' group of php.ini settings.

What I'm looking to find out is does an ini setting established in a test subdomain of my site affect those ini settings outside of my test subdomain?