If you are used to Informix, MySQL will be unsatisfying - no stored
procedures, outer joins, sub-queries, transactions. MySQL is much like
early dBase II.

I'm not familiar with MS SQL on a price per seat basis, but how many
developers do you have? If you are doing this web-based you don't have that
many "seats". Given that your developers are used to working in MS SQL it
may be cheaper in terms of overall developer costs.

The downside of that course is that you are locked into MSFT's plans for
the product and Windows NT/2000/XP.

A robust and reliable open source alternative is PostgreSQL. It has
features your developers are used to, is adequately fast, and is certainly
robust. It would probably be the easiest port. Drivers are kept current in
PHP, Python, Perl and of course ODBC.

Regards - Miles Thompson