I appreciate all your thoughts.

Miles, regarding the price-per-seat issue, it isn't a question of the number
of developers but the number of simultaneous connections to the database.
For example, a 64-user Informix license is over $5,000 ...  While I doubt we
will need to maintain persistent connections, I could envision longer
transactions creating a queue in the WAIT line.

While most of our SQL code is fairly vanilla, the code has lots of
sub-queries, unions, outer joins, and transactions, etc.  That appears to
rule-out MySQL.

Regarding a database abstraction package: does Metabase handle all
"standard" SQL constructs (as opposed to vendor-specific SQL extensions)?
The GUI applications to be ported were built with JAM, which basically
provides an abstraction layer via its JPL language.  JPL has not been
restrictive in terms of required functionality, nor was there any real
performance hits.  Can the same be said of Metabase?  Also, would Metabase
present a significant learning curve for experienced C and SQL programmers?

I will download PostgreSQL and check it out.

Again, your input is appreciated and helpful.

James Potts