Nicolas Costes wrote in 00fd01c13a94$e3329b80$0100a8c0@p2333:">news:00fd01c13a94$e3329b80$0100a8c0@p2333:

> Hellorgh, all !!!
> Does anyone knows if there is a way to MD5-encode strings with
> JavaScript ?

The algorithm is described in RFC 1321.
<URL:http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1321.txt>

> I use MD5() to encode passwords then insert them in my account
> database, and when a user logs in, i do
> MD5($password_provided_by_form) to compare it with the one stored
> in the DB. Ok, fine, I cannot see the users's passwords but when
> they log in, everyone can sniff it !!!

MD5 is a one way algorithm, which means that you won't be doing MD5 on
the server.

> That's why i'd like to encode passwords at client-side.... a
> Javascript MD5() function should be fine, but i think it doesn't
> exists .... and I can't use (and i don't know how to ;~p ) SSL,
> https: ....

Which won't help you in any way, in effect you'll just be sending a
plaintext password that's a lot longer.

> Someone's got any solution ????

A secure connection is your only real solution here.

--
Arve         «The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity.
               The optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.»