Thx Christopher for replying. Ok, let me see if I understand you
correctly...

The user enters username and password on index.php, this is posted to
login.php. On login.php after I verify the user is who he/she says they are
I set a cookie called "accessedbefore" to "yes" and redirect them to the
main page. Am I allowed to set a cookie and redirect them after determining
who the user is? How would I redirect them after setting the cookie? Header
function or is there a better way?

Thx Joe :)